Friday, August 6, 2010

A walk to the York minster

Friday, August 6, 2010
Loretta reports:

We continue with Lisle & Olivia on their journey north, in Last Night’s Scandal

Today’s stop is in York.  A few years before my characters’ visit, The York Minister, the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter, had been set on fire.  Lisle & Olivia arrive at a time when the rebuilding was not yet under way.

The following excerpt is from The Cathedral Church of York: a description of its fabric
and a brief history of the archi-episcopal see
, by A. Clutton-Brock.  1899
~~~~~
On the 2nd February 1829, Jonathan Martin, a brother of the apocalyptic painter, John Martin, and a religious maniac, hid himself during evening service behind the tomb of Archbishop Greenfield in the north transept, and when the church was shut up for the night set fire to the choir. The flames were not extinguished until the stalls, the organ, and the vault had been entirely destroyed. The actual stonework and carving of the choir were considerably injured, and the glass of the great east window itself only just avoided destruction. Martin escaped through a window of the transept, but was quickly captured, and discovered to be insane. The restoration,[Pg 45] carried on by Smirke, was begun in 1832, and on the whole was fairly done. At any rate, the authorities of the minster may console themselves with the knowledge that it was absolutely necessary. The stalls were a reproduction, as exact as possible, of the old woodwork, but the design of the throne and pulpit are original, and not successful. The cost of the restoration was £65,000, most of which was contributed by subscription. Timber, to the value of £5000, was given by the State, and Sir Edward Vavasour, following the example of his ancestor of the fourteenth century, supplied the stone.
~~~~~

You can follow L&O’s walk to the York Minister here at Google’s street view, starting at 10 Coney Street, the site of their hotel. 

At right is the crypt, from the book cited above.

4 comments:

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

I LOVE Google's street view. I can't go racing off to visit every place I write about, but thanks to Google's cameras, I don't have to. I've found out all sorts of little details that have turned up in books. One of the less obvious research tools to be found on the 'net.

Sylvie said...

This series of blogs is most useful, like pictures to your wonderful book. I love seeing where Lisle and Olivia went. I will read the book again now, understanding more. Thank you.

AnneH said...

Thank you for all the extra information. I'm the type of reader who always googles a lot of things that I find interesting in a book like the history of the times, the places, events, etc.... I'm even interested in the german chest that Olivia is having a hard time opening. *g*

LorettaChase said...

Susan, the street view made all the difference in the scene. I had photographs and maps, but there's nothing like a virtual walk. Sylvie, this is one of the things I love about the internet: I can offer "illustrated editions" of my stories. AnneH, I do this because I'm the same kind of reader. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll blog about the chest, too, either here or at Loretta Chase IOW.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket